Sisters of the Redeemer

Celebrating 100 Years in America

A Journey of Faith

Love Leads Us On

On March 19, 1924, the first 12 Sisters of the Redeemer arrived in America from their beloved homeland of Würzburg, Germany, after accepting an invitation from the Xaverian Brothers to start a new mission in the United States.

In the 100 years since, these 12 Sisters and all those who came after them, quietly yet confidently responded to the needs of the time through the creation of more than 30 new ministries. They laid the foundation for all that now bears the name of our Redeemer—Redeemer Health, Redeemer Associates, Redeemer Valley Farm, Redeemer Village, and Redeemer Ministry Corps, among others.

Today, we all stand on the shoulders of these Sisters who came before us. As our journey of faith continues, love leads us on.

Ministries Founded by the Sisters of in the United States

Scroll through and select an image below to see more detail.

  • 1924 - 1975
  • 1926 - 1963
  • 1928 – 1980
  • 1928 – 1960
  • 1930-1951
  • 1931-1987
  • 1932-1968
  • 1932-1968
  • 1933-1944
  • 1934-1974
  • 1934-1967
  • 1937-present
  • 1939-1979
  • 1940-1970
  • 1945-1961
  • 1953-1972
  • 1959-Present
  • 1965-2015
  • 1966-Present
  • 1973-Present
  • 1981-Present
  • 1982-Present
  • 1982-2024
  • 1985-Present
  • 1987-Present
  • 1989-Present
  • 1992-Present
  • 1995-Present
  • 1998-Present
  • 2010-Present
  • 2010-Present
  • 2013-2023
  • Mount St. Joseph High School, Baltimore, Md.

    Sisters served in the dietary, infirmary, and domestic departments, caring for the students and Xaverian Brothers at the high school.
  • St. Mary’s Hall, Augustinian Seminary, Villanova College, Villanova, Pa.

    Sisters staffed dietary and domestic departments at the seminary. This was the first ministry within the Archdiocese of Philadelphia
  • St. Henry’s Parish, 5th Street, Philadelphia, Pa.

    The Sisters established a convent in St. Henry’s Parish, where many German immigrants were settling. The Sisters provided domestic services and began their home nursing program.
  • Juniorate of the Augustinians, Staten Island, N.Y.

    The Sisters provided domestic and infirmary services for the priests.
  • St. John’s Prep School, Danvers, Mass.

    Sisters served in the domestic department at the school.
  • Drueding Infirmary, Philadelphia, Pa.

    On-site hospital services were provided for the employees and families of the Drueding Brothers Manufacturing Company. The Sisters worked as nurses, surgical assistants, laboratory and x-ray technicians, pharmacists, and cooks. In 1958, the Sisters transitioned the infirmary to a nursing home and geriatric daycare.
  • Augustinian Seminary, Washington, D.C.

    The Sisters provided domestic services for the newly-ordains priests.
  • St. Elizabeth House, Bronx, N.Y.

    A boarding home for women who were looking for employment. It served as the headquarters for the Catholic Women’s Union of New York, the Mission Workers of the Little Flower, and the St. Gerard Maternity Guild Apostolate. The Sisters supervised the female residents and provided nursing and domestic services.
  • Juniorate of Xaverian Brothers, Peabody, Mass.

    Only 10 minutes away from St. John’s Prep School in Danvers, Mass., where Sisters were also serving, the Sisters missioned in Peabody provided domestic services to the Xaverian Brothers.
  • Motherhouse, Meadowbrook, Pa.

    As more Sisters arrived from Germany and this ministries grew in number, the Sisters purchased a 45-acre estate in Meadowbrook, Pa. This would become the Congregation’s Motherhouse and Novitiate.
  • St. Charles Borromeo Seminary, Overbrook, Pa.

    At the request of Cardinal Dougherty, Archbishop of Philadelphia, the Sisters were asked to take over the household duties and the infirmary at the Seminary.
  • St. Joseph Manor, Meadowbrook, Pa.

    Built on their Meadowbrook estate and named for the Congregation’s patron saint, St. Joseph Manor provides physical and spiritual care for seniors in a residential setting.
  • St. Joseph Manor Annex, Huntingdon Valley, Pa.

    In less than two years, the demand for St. Joseph Manor was so high, the Sisters purchased a 115- acre farm with a house across the street from St. Joseph Manor to accommodate more residents.
  • St. Joseph Hospice, Easton, Pa.

    A senior home where the Sisters provided nursing and domestic services.
  • St. Francis de Sales Parish, Philadelphia, Pa.

    As the Sisters’ home nursing work flourished, a second home nursing ministry began.
  • Padua Retreat House, West Chester, Pa.

    The Sisters provided domestic and nursing services for priests at the retreat house.
  • Holy Redeemer Hospital, Meadowbrook, Pa.

    Fulfilling a need for a Catholic hospital in the area, the Sisters built and opened Holy Redeemer Hospital adjacent to St. Joseph Manor. The hospital fulfilled a goal the Sisters envisioned when they first came to America.
  • Provincialate, Huntingdon Valley, Pa.

    Designed to be a modern interpretation of traditional Bavarian Germany architecture, the new Motherhouse of the Congregation was constructed to house the growing number of Sisters and served as its U.S. headquarters. The Provincialate also houses the Redeemer Sisters’ Chapel.
  • Holy Redeemer Thrift Shop

    The Sisters, with the support of the Ladies Auxiliary of Holy Redeemer Hospital, opened the thrift store primarily to serve the needs of low-income families.
  • Holy Redeemer Visiting Nurse Agency, Philadelphia, Pa.

    Although the Sisters’ home care ministries began in 1928, it wasn’t until 1973 when the Sisters’ small home nursing practice was incorporated. Medicare certification enabled them to include services such as speech and physical therapies, social services, hospice care.   
  • Redeemer Village, Meadowbrook, Pa.

    With an increase of aging residents in the Philadelphia suburbs, the Sisters partnered with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development to build Redeemer Village, a subsidized housing complex for seniors with limited financial means.
  • Redeemer Ministry Corps

    A lay ministry program which provides young adults the opportunity to serve and live in community alongside the Sisters.
  • Holy Redeemer Visiting Nurse Agency, Swainton, N.J.

    The Sisters expanded their Visiting Nurse Agency to meet the growing needs at the New Jersey shore.
  • Holy Redeemer Health System now Redeemer Health

    The Sisters invited the expertise and leadership of the laity to assist in the oversight of their ministries. Holy Redeemer Health System was created to unify the various programs and facilities sponsored by the Sisters and to make certain that their mission remained strong.
  • Project Rainbow now Drueding Center

    The Drueding Infirmary was converted into residential units to be used as transitional housing for women and children experiencing homelessness. The Sisters provided a network of health, social, educational, and vocational programs to help the women achieve independence.
  • Holy Redeemer Jersey Shore Food Pantry

    Championed by Sr. Mary Anne McDonagh, a food pantry was established within the Holy Redeemer Visiting Nursing Agency in Swainton to serve families and seniors on limited incomes.
  • The Lafayette

    Holy Redeemer Health System Board approved the acquisition of the Lafayette Retirement Community.   
  • Holy Redeemer Food Cupboard, Philadelphia

    Recognizing the need to provide emergency food to eligible persons, the Sisters, under the leadership of Sr. Kathryn Etchells founded the food cupboard.
  • Redeemer Associates

    The program was established for women and men who are attracted to the Redeemer Charism and Spirituality and desire association with the Sisters as a means for personal and spiritual growth.
  • Second to Nun Framery

    Originally began in early 1990’s as a retirement hobby of Sr. Jacqueline Long and was restarted in 2010 by Sr. Linda Arico.
  • Redeemer Valley Garden, now Redeemer Valley Farm

    Although the Sisters had a long farming tradition dating back to their early days in Meadowbrook, their farming subsided as their ministries focused more on healthcare. Sr. Ana Dura helped the Sisters return to their farming roots with the creation of a small community garden, which has grown today to a working farm.
  • Art at Lake Valley Gallery

    Founded by Sr. Linda Arico, the Gallery featured the works of local artists and provided educational opportunities. Proceeds from the Galley help support Drueding Center.

100 Years 100 Stories

100 Years 100 Stories: Second to Nun Framery

100 Years 100 Stories: Second to Nun Framery

According to Pope Francis, “the arts give expression to the beauty of the faith and proclaim the Gospel message of the grandeur of God’s creation.” Additionally, “architects and painters, sculptors and musicians, filmmakers and writers, photographers and poets,...

read more
100 Years 100 Stories: the Great Atlantic Storm of 1962

100 Years 100 Stories: the Great Atlantic Storm of 1962

After the Great Atlantic Storm destroyed much of the New Jersey coast in March 1962, Sr. Eustella Volk stands on what was left of the Sisters’ Sea Isle City beach retreat house, which was donated to them in 1941 by St. Joseph Manor resident, Charles M....

read more

PROVINCE CENTER

1600 Huntingdon Pike
Meadowbrook, PA 19046

Phone: 215-914-4100
Fax: 215-914-4111

MASS AT REDEEMER SISTERS’ CHAPEL

521 Moredon Rd.
Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006

Sunday 9:30 am

CONNECT WITH US

SUPPORT US

You can make a secure, tax-deductible donation online.